To celebrate the release of Brews & Good News EP we borrowed a car, packed a soundsystem, and went on a eight stop tour from the northern parts of Sweden all the way down to Copenhagen. Thanks a lot to everyone that came out and supported us!
The track in the video is My Theory from Brews & Good News EP.
11/9 Footish, Uppsala
12/9 Moyo, Sundsvall
13/9 Moyo, Örnsköldsvik
14/9 Moyo, Umeå
18/9 Cali, Stockholm
19/9 Shelta, Göteborg
20/9 StreetLab, Malmö
21/9 Vans Store, Copenhagen
We are proud to give you a first taste of ”Brews & Good News”! Here’s the video for the song ”Killing Time” featuring Bronx native and legendary D.I.T.C. crew member, A.G.
We recorded this track together in a cold and windy New York in January earlier this year. So what could be better than to record a video during a warm and wind free swedish summer day? A perfect blend between the rawness of the streets and the colorful warmth of every swedes favorite season. Hiphop is a worldwide language. Some live of it, but most of us just live for it.
”Killing Time” is produced and arranged by Professor P and DJ Akilles.
The video is produced, directed and edited by Anton Söderhäll.
Great studio session today! We had planned to work on our upcoming EP ”Brews & Good News” but felt like giving our listeners a little something something. So we got busy. Beat, rhymes, scratch, mixing, everything is done within the six hours we spent in the studio. We normally don’t rush things, especially not our music but we have to say; this is still dope.
”We don’t think alike, I swear I’m a different type/ You can’t tell? I’ll give you that Sam L kiss goodnight…”
Here’s a brief recap of our days in NYC. We got a lot of work done but our main focus was having fun and finding the inspiration we need to make even better music than we have this far in our career. We feel like we have to get better with every track we make or we might as well quit. There’s to many good musicians in this business for us to be half-ass. With that said, here’s some of the stuff we did!
* Recorded a track with legendary emcee A.G (Showbiz & A.G, D.I.T.C.). We had a great time hanging out with A and he is a real down to earth guy with more passion for the music after 20 years in the game than most cats have during their waaaay shorter careers. The track is a banger, soul-bap to the fullest!
* Did a show at a venue called The Delancey. It has been a life long dream for us to perform in ”the Mecca of hiphop” and now we can tell our grandchildren (when that time arrives…) that we did our thing in NYC back in the days. We are really satisfied with our performance and we think the small crowd that attended were surprised as hell two swedish dudes can make music like that.
* Had a spontaneous ”live session” at Red Rooster in Harlem. Smooth! Watch one of the tracks we did right here:
* Recorded a track with one of our favorite emcees Blu (Blu & Exile). Real dope, just jazzy, melodic, night time theme music! Blu came by the apartment and killed his verse. What can we say, he’s a fantastic writer and a great dude. A modern day poet.
* Did an ”a day in the life of Pro & Ak” kind of interview with Niklas Strömberg which will be published in local Swedish newspaper UNT. Niklas came along while we went diggin’ for samples at legendary A1 Records, and it was a cool vibe all the way through. Plus we found some ill samples as a bonus!
If you can call that ”work”, we also had some time to play;
* Went to Barclays Center in Brooklyn and watched the Nets VS the Raptors. But mostly we just watched Jigga in the front row. He’s not a business man, he’s a business, man!
* Went to Tony Touch’s club ”Toca Tuesdays” where Stretch Armstrong and Tony played records. When the crowd knows all the words to some 1994 Boot Camp Click you know you’re in the right place!
* Went to Brooklyn Bowl to watch Questlove (The Roots) do his thing on the 1′s & 2′s. He’s a fantastic DJ! Suprised? Not really.
* Dropped by a place called DROM for a ”Beat Society” event. Blu, Terminology and Skyzoo performed and Pete Rock, Marco Polo, Hezekiah and Statik Selektah played new beats of their laptops. Pete Rock and Marco Polo shut shit down. Pharoahe Monch and Jean Grae was in the crowd chillin’. Check this video of Marco’s Kweli-remix. He premiered it that night:
We are now back in cold Sweden but we got some heat cooking up in the studio! ”Brews & Good News” is in the making!
Thank you all for your support!
/Professor P & DJ Akilles
We are nominated for ”Best group” and ”Best video” at this year’s Kingsize Awards (a Swedish hip-hop magazine). Awesome! We are really honored! Please help us by voting HERE and spreading the link. Thank you!
You need to have a Facebook account to be able to vote.
Professor P & DJ Akilles album ”The Realism”, released earlier this years, was praised by both listeners and critics. Now, eight months later they are ready to launch the first video of their still untitled EP, which will be released early 2013. ”Pro & Ak For President” is a classic hiphop banger with a chopped sample, verses that display Professor P’s skills as an emcee, and a fantastic scratch-chorus by DJ Akilles. Not very complicated, but very dope.
The concept for the video is quite simple. Some of Sweden’s best emcees, DJ’s, musicians and streetwear entrepreneurs brought together in a photobooth to enjoy music and have a good time. The director, Jacqueline Ragheb, describes it like this:
During this shoot our colorful and artistic photobooth captured happiness on faces that can not be wiped away. Pro & Ak is brings hip-hop back to the roots and throughout this video we wanted to show love for the music, love for art and above all, love for life. This song gives us alot of energy and joy and our photobooth represents that. So come get some!
”Pro & Ak For President” is produced by Professor P & DJ Akilles and mixed/mastered by Erik L.
The video is produced by Triadfilm.
Director/Editor: Jacqueline Ragheb
Producer: Sasa Jancic
Director of photography: Erik Landerdahl
Creative Advisor/Carpenter: Eric Svärd
Make up/Costume: Jessica Gimteg
Artwork by: Fredrik Olsson (http://yokomasi.com)
Behind the Scenes footage: Alexander Rossev
Two of Uppsalas finest, streetwear brand Lucid and hiphop-duo Professor P & DJ Akilles, join forces to deliver a limited edition snapback cap just in time for summer.
Lucid X Pro&Ak Snapback is made from 100% cotton and is available in two color ways; burgundy with grey peak and grey with black peak and the classic green bottom. The front got Professor P & DJ Akilles iconic logo embroidered and in the back there is a small LB logo and a Lucid tag.
”Working with Pro & Ak has been great, and since I’m a big fan of their music I didn’t have to think twice about supporting their grind. I’m really looking forward to our upcoming collaborations and I must say I am very pleased with the outcome of the limited edition Lucid X Pro&Ak Snapback!” -Erik Olsson, Lucid Brand.
Lucid X Pro&Ak Snapback is now available for 250 SEK (+ shipping costs) at http://shop.lucidbrand.se/. Or by e-mailing either professorp [a] proandak.comor djakilles [a] proandak.com!
About Lucid: Lucid, based in Uppsala, Sweden, is a streetwear brand rooted in the Swedish BMX-scene. The brand was formed in December 2010, with intentions of creating a brand where quality and design go hand in hand. Lucid also consists of ”The Lucid Team”, the home of some of Sweden’s prime BMX and MTB-riders. Now, ”The Lucid Team”, is also home of Swedish, critically acclaimed, hiphop-duo Professor P & DJ Akilles!